Thursday 26 December 2019

Looking back, and forward.

At the end of the year lot's of people set new year's resolutions. I'm not so good at that.... I know I won't hold myself to the things that I resolve!

But what I've come to realize is that I am good at reflecting, and setting some short and long term goals. In the past I avoided this because in all honesty, I'm such an overthinker that if I didn't achieve a goal I would get myself worked into quite a state overthinking and stressing about that!

This year I have learnt that things don't always go as planned. I had planned to be starting agility competition with Flori, and instead, we are still midpoint in her rehab, with any agility in her future far from a certain thing.


Over this year I've made some amazing new friends, and lost some old ones which I regret. Social interactions are hard for me, and I have a habit of putting my foot in my mouth... and then overthinking about that for months. I need to make more of an effort to be thoughtful about what I say, and who I say them too. Because whilst I'm a complete introvert who genuinely enjoys time alone, everyone needs people sometimes.

I'm not happy with some of my agility progress over the year - I didn't reach my goals particularly with Evo, and NZDAC. After a wee break I'm going to have to reframe my thoughts and training plan of attack, because I love agility and want to keep progressing!

Photo by Mariji Smith

I also need to reframe my fitness work with Deo and Chace, because unfortunately they are getting older and I can see the changes in their bodies happening. I'm determined to give them the best chance to stay strong and sound as they age, and for Deo to be able to be doing agility a little bit longer! I still have a few things in agility I want to achieve.

Deo's NZDAC prizes
Here's the thing I realized this week. I might not have met all of my agility goals, but I've really achieved an absolute shitload this year! And I'm proud to be becoming a trainer and competitor in such a wide range of areas.

Here's some highlights: 

  • Getting policy approved for Flori to be one of the first-ever full-time school support dogs
  • Achieving Chace's TEAM1 and TEAM2 online FDSA obedience qualifications
  • Starting training Nosework, and getting Chace into competition (and gaining ribbons and qualifying certificates too!) and running my first ever competition. 
  • Starting to learn about, and consider training some gun dog competition. 
  • Bringing two amazing US dog trainers to New Zealand
  • Being involved in some amazing international courses as an instructor. It is such a privilege to be working with some amazing people on super cool dog things! 
  • Both Evo and Deo placed and got ribbons at NZDAC, including Evo getting his first clear round in a Jumpers A course. 
  • I learnt disc, another new sport, and ran the first-ever NZ dog disc competition. 
  • Evo was freaken amazing and won three out of five UpDog Challenge disc competition events. 
 





 So as we move into this new year reflect on what is really important to you and the things that you value. Reflect on your year that has just been, and try to focus on all that you have achieved. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.