Friday 27 December 2019

#doggeekeryDIY - Scratchboard

So most of you that know me know I'm a little crafty, and like making cool dog things! I've decided to put instructions for some of these into blog posts to make them easy to share. Even though most of these things are really pretty easy!

Today here's some instructions to make a DIY scratchboard for nails. I use this in-between cooperative care training sessions, because for some dogs (like Chace) nails are tough! Here's an older post I did on nails: http://hybriddogtraining.blogspot.com/2017/09/nails.html

Equipment


  • Base of the scratchboard. I've used a chopping board, but other things that work are clipboards, the back of plastic containers, and a half round PVC pipe. 
  • Sandpaper surface. Stick on safety grit step strips, OR rectangle pieces of medium grit sandpaper and liquid nails.
  • Duct tape. To hold the edges of the sandpaper down. I prefer the pretty patterned ones. 



How to make it


  1. Buy supplies. I bought a slightly more expensive chopping board because it had rubber feet on, and that's going to help it hold position if I prop it up against different things. 
  2. Stick the non-slip strips on. You want it wide enough for your dogs front paws in a natural position, and long enough for them to wipe their paws down in a decent length stroke. 
  3. Tape down the edges with duct tape to make the strips stay on better. 
I know it's pretty easy!! 




Happy scratching! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.