Wednesday 6 November 2019

To run, or not to run ... continued .... FREE mini course!

A while back I wrote an article 'To run or not to run' for the NZ Kennel Gazette. This was prompted by things I was seeing while at agility competitions.

I was recently at our national Agility competition - NZDAC in Cromwell. Whilst I had a blast, I continued to see dogs that were, in my opinion, unsound competing.

Evo at the 2019 NZDAC - Photo by Mariji Smith
On having discussions with some of the amazing treatment providers on-site, it became clear that unfortunately, I wasn't alone.

Deo at NZDAC 2019. Photo by Emily Taylor Photography. 

People often assume that I'm very lucky with my dogs and the lack of injuries (touch wood!). But this isn't the case. None of my dogs are close to perfect structurally, naturally put on muscles, and all except Evo are far from naturally graceful movers. And they haven't been without ongoing small issues. Luckily with a trained eye, and the help of professionals I have been able to avoid these small 'niggles' becoming injuries. I've also gained the knowledge that I need to be able to manage their lives in a way that decreases the chance of injuries occurring.


It was because of this developed eye, and the professionals I regularly use, that Flori's knee issue was picked up so early before substantial damage had been done. Whilst Flori's issue was not typical in presentation, I do not believe that her issue would have been caught if it was not for this. Right now in another home, she could be starting agility competition, instead of being in rehabilitation after knee surgery.

So I've decided to put my money where my mouth is. And I'm giving anyone interested in learning more a FREE mini online course. This will cover:

  • Appropriate puppy activities
  • What can you do to reduce the chance of injury? 
  • Agility training and injury prevention
  • Measuring a dogs baseline in their body posture, and movement
  • Identifying issues in stance or movement
  • Identifying issues in agility
  • What to do if you see issues in a dog
This course will run over the month of December via learning units and discussion in a Facebook group. 

It would be especially useful for agility competitors, clubs and agility instructors, and agility judges. 


Are you interested in learning more about this? Then join my FREE online mini-course! This will run over the month of December in this Facebook group. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.