Thursday 3 January 2019

Getting out there


After Sarah of the Cognitive Canine came to New Zealand last year I decided to make a deliberate effort to get my dogs out walking more. It's always been something that I haven't been good, or consistent at. And to be honest it was something that I didn't particularly enjoy. It's hard and stressful with multiple dogs, and also extra stressful if I'm out with Chace with her reactivity. It's also super important for Chace, and a big part of the online course I'm doing with her in mind - Real Life Reactivity (link at the bottom).


Over the last year or so we have got much better, and been walking more, and checking out more spots. But you know what I realized these holidays? I feel like I've forever been on the search for the 'perfect walking spot'. And I've found a bunch of super cool places, but none of them are 'perfect'. I've just gotta get over that, and know what issues I might have to deal with at each spot.



The beach spot we went to yesterday was awesome. No other dogs, only a few people, but it was about 1 hour 40 mins drive each way, and there were some blue jellyfish that are dangerous that washed up on the beach. The forest walk we did last week (that we had to gain a permit for) ripped up Evo's pads, had ticks, and we lost one dog for a while to bunny chasing. Every spot has imperfections.


Here are some of the things that have made it easier for me to go and take them out. 

  • Friends with great dogs!
  • Harnesses for on lead only walks. 
  • Muzzle's for reactive dogs, or dogs that eat things that they shouldn't. And training so that the dog who has to wear one loves wearing it! 
  • A walking belt if I'm walking multiple dogs on lead. 
  • A super cool bum bag (😂). I like to take poop bags, treats, and my phone with me one walks, and I can't always fit these in pockets, especially in summer when I'm walking in shorts and t-shirts. My new one is super pretty, fit's everything in perfectly, and has extra loops which are super handy. It's from Cotton On. 
  • Treats. To reward the good things. 
  • A list of the walking spot's in 'Saved places' in my Google map on my phone. This way I know how long it's going to take, and directions and I can share it with anyone joining me on the walk. 
  • A fluoro bandana for visibility in dark foresty walks for if the dogs are off lead and their harnesses aren't particularly visible. 
  • Dog first aid kit in the vehicle. Just in case. 
  • Dog boots. These are a brand new thing for me (like this just arrived today). I'll let you know how they go for Evo and his terribly soft pads. 
  • Biothane long lines. 


The other thing that I've been conscious of is not putting strict rules on it like 'a walk every day for each dog that is at least an hour'. It's just not realistic for me with the amount of work I do, four dogs, and trying to also get some training in! Instead I am more flexible. If I train all the dogs one day we might not walk, or just a farm walk behind our house. If I do a couple of hours beach walk with Evo, Flori, and Deo then maybe just Chace on a bush walk the next day.

Slowly we are getting better at it, and I'm learning to relax and love it more. In the future hopefully I can add some GPS or tracking collars to our hiking kit, but at the moment there are no reliable systems that work in New Zealand that I can afford. But I'm searching! Now to go and vacuum up all the sand and brush it out of my bed from the beach walk yesterday. It seem's Evo bought a large portion of the beach home in his coat...



  • The Cognitive Canine Cog Dog Radio Podcast - Staying Safe
  • https://thecognitivecanine.com/blog/a-decompression-walk-chat/ 
  • https://thecognitivecanine.com/blog/gps-collars-ethics-and-decompression/ 
  • Casey of Inspiration Canine - Real Life Reactivity


  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.