Saturday 25 February 2017

Introduction - keeping it simple (or not)

So I've been thinking about writing a blog for a while.... because sometimes I want to share information and thoughts, but also because I believe that in today's social media based platform of advertising and learning it's more appropriate than a website.

I had lots of really good ideas about what I could write about but thought it would be best to start with my training pedagogy.

Yes I used a stupid teaching word (pedagogy) instead of 'training philosophy'. Because how and why I train how I do is not just because of my 'beliefs', but instead science evidence based theory, best practice, and lots of thought, effort and learning from me!

My agility work pedagogy consists of:

  •  working super hard to train a great understanding of verbal cues. Verbal cues are very low down on the list of what is 'intuitive' for a dog - they are normally movement based. I want my dogs to understand verbal cues no matter what my body is doing, or what direction my body is moving. This gives you as a handler far more options in a course, and opportunity to stay ahead. 
  • Reinforcing dogs working as much as possible, with something that is reinforcing to that dog. There is no point using tug as a reward if the dog does not yet find it valuable. 
  • Doing the groundwork for skills, and doing work appropriate for the age of the dog. 
  • Working ahead as much as possible. This allows more speed (dogs like chasing!) and also to control difficult parts of a sequence. 
  • Handling in competition with the motto 'Connect, cue and commit'. Connect with your dog (visually and or with a clear body signal like training hand). Cue early, and appropriately. And stay connected and ensure your dog has committed to the obstacle / skill. 
I also strongly believe that high-level competition dogs need more than agility training. Cross training is essential for any high level athlete, and agility dogs are no exception. 


    My fitness and conditioning work pedagogy consists of:
    •  Having help with someone more knowledgeable than you! It's a relatively new thing this fitness work for dogs in NZ. My dogs are regularly checked by trained professionals (physio and / or chiropractor), and my fitness training and program is checked and helped with online work with US professionals.  
    • Not doing fitness work with compromised dogs. Any dog with a known injury, or lameness should be working with a trained professional. 
    • Starting all base skills on the flat with stable platforms. 
    • Getting form great first, before looking at sets / reps / intense programs. 
    • Working in a way that produces a balanced fitness program appropriate for the dog. A fitness program should be achievable for the time and equipment you have, have specific goals, and should assist in areas that are weak for that dog like less than desirable structure or sports skills that are difficult.  

    I really enjoy spotting small details that can have a big impact on skills or form. I'll tell you if I think a dog shouldn't be doing something (or should be doing more of something!), and I will nit pick to make you both better! I'll also try my best to catch you at shows so I can give you some feedback, or to help inform our training sessions. 

    I'll also be that voice in your head saying 'OMG are his nails too long??" 



    Happy training! Kelly :-)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.